15 December 2007

Dipping my toes in...


Time for a confession: I'm something of a hold-out against the march of progress, at least when it comes to social networking and "web 2.0" (whatever the blinding hell that means). What was wrong with learning to slap a few web-pages up (using raw HTML if you please) and then unleashing that on an unsuspecting (global) public? As far as I could see, nothing. Back in the day if you were really serious about generating site traffic you could join a web-ring or, dare I say it, come up with something that, by virtue of actually being good, was really worth visiting and revisiting. Now it seems that no-one is capable of taking anything seriously without an RSS feed, a companion video-clip hosted by YouTube and with photos provided by Flickr.

Now I can't talk to any of my friends in the office without being asked if I have an account with Facebook yet. The answer to that question is still a resounding "No", and it's looking like that is the most popular choice of answer until some time after the sun explodes. -- Yes I am aware that our sun won't explode but will instead swell in size until our world is swallowed whole by it, but that's cumbersome to say so I won't. (I have yet to run into the situation where someone I know tells me that I can only keep in regular contact with them by visiting their profile page. I guess that it's only a matter of time, and will be heralded with the simultaneous death of every e-mail server on the planet).

Still, I have been encouraged to create something like this by Jennie (my wife), who thinks that somebody out there might like it (and thereby stop me from inflicting this on her I suspect). I don't see what her problem is, her usual reaction to pretty much anything that I say is to hit me over the head while yelling "Lemming!" over and over again. My sole attempt at trying to fit in with the rest of the W2.0 crowd, other than this blog, is over at Last.fm, (Where you can see from my profile that I am something of a basket-case for female vocalists of all kinds...)

----------------
Now playing: Joss Stone - You Had Me
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

DJ-RJ said...

Well thank you for sharing your story with us out in here in the world!

DJ-RJ
Austin, TX USA