19 December 2007

A view from the trenches...

Hooray! My wife and I are now the proud owners of a brand new $300 thousand dollar mortgage. Oh, there's also a new house to go with it too. I find I am now in that state that is a precursor to complete physical and mental collapse. Today was busy as all get out and now I have the dubious pleasure of being trapped home alone with a surly 8 year old and a grumpy 19 month old who's teething (and probably tired).

The house looks okay, inside and out, but (like my youngest) there have been some teething problems of our own to contend with:

  • We need to dig a trench from the front of the property to the phone access point so that our telecommunications infrastructure monopoly (Telstra, but let's call them Telscrape after the telecommunications abortion that they aspire to be) can finish connecting our home to the local telephone circuit. I see quality time with a shovel in my immediate future...
  • Did I mention no domestic internet service until the line is physically connected? After more than 13 years of near constant internet supply how the hell will I cope?
  • The people who supplied our oven shipped it with the wrong style of range hood. The error wasn't noticed until after the electrician tried installing it. The carpenter, brought into fix things, pointed out the mistake. Oops... Our building supervisor (an amazing bloke by the name of Mark) was making a trip out to Geelong the last I heard to grab the proper fitting from the distributor.
Add to that the sheer, unbridled joy of trying to salvage bunk-beds that have been comprehensively battered into stressed-metal submission by two thirds of the domestic terrors in this house as well as the geodesic climbing frame thingy that they also met in mortal combat (and prevailed), and my day has been hot and bothered to say the least. Hard rubbish is now richer by one disassembled tubular steel set of bunks and one butt-load of plastic crap that was once a green coloured eyesore in my back yard. Can't say that I'm not happy to see them go...

Need beer, badly.

----------------
Now playing: Juno Reactor/Don Davis - Mona Lisa Overdrive
via FoxyTunes

No comments: