17 March 2008

You have GOT to be kidding me!

FINAL SCORE: DOUG 0 -- FAECAL FINGER OF FATE 1
If a person who hates modern technology is called a "Luddite", what do you call a person who is hated by modern technology? I ask because it seems that modern technology has it in for me. Big time. Either that or Telstra has decided that, for whatever reason, I must know pain, I must know fear and then I must know death. I can therefore only assume that this is the "knowledge of fear" portion of the programme, and that my eventual death by Telstra service van is only a matter of time (and will probably arrive late anyway).

Exactly how hard is it to connect a domestic phone service, and then connect an ADSL service to that new and shiny phone service? Okay, how hard should it be? I've been without a domestic net connection since 8:37pm on 18 December 2007 (not that I'm counting or anything), and it's beginning to get to me. Seriously, I've been outdoors so often and for so long now that I'm in real danger of developing something approaching an all-over tan. For 13.5 years prior to my current network blackout my skin was regularly ("Constantly?" you might ask. "Nearly..." would be my response) kissed by the loving glow of a CRT.

I thought that I had everything settled and sorted, and that a regular supply of digital download delights would be mine from the middle of last week. Sadly, this was not to be and now it seems that there is a problem with the ADSL service reaching our phone sockets from the local exchange. I am told that a service fault call has been lodged with Telstra, and that I should expect a follow-up phone call Real Soon Now(tm). I won't hold my breath waiting for this to happen however, all that ever happens when I do is that I pass out, fall down and hit my head on something hard on the way down. While I will grant that the blinding headache that follows this exercise does take the edge off some of the pain of dealing with Telstra, the blood-stains on the carpet really aren't worth it.

Sigh... All donations of wireless broadband time gratefully accepted. Email me at ... Okay, e-mail is something of a wash-out right now, time for a logical alternative. Address all snail-mail to ... Bugger... Are smoke signals out of the question?

No comments: