19 June 2008

Ack! Wheeze!

LURGY STRIKES DOUG
It's rolled into winter as I type this up and some unfeeling bastard has decided to stuff a housebrick into my trachea (perhaps even two of them). Breathing is ... problematic and when I wear my motorcycle helmet the struggle to resist the urge to sneeze is frequently a matter of life and death. It'd be funny if I weren't so terrified of sneezing at an inopportune time, like when I'm travelling at 100km/h shortly after rush hour on the Princes Freeway.. "Ah choo! Hmmm... The Western Ring Road is looking particularly claggy this morning."
Thinking about it I suppose I really should be at home in bed, but if I stayed home in bed today there would be a couple of issues that I really am not equipped to deal with right now:
  • I'd miss out on a day's pay. When you're working casually you suck it up and take it on the chin, or you don't get paid.
  • I'd be expected to do housework. Anyone who knows me knows that I'm hopeless at this sort of thing. "What do you mean the you can't see the floor? There's a piece of it right over there. Okay, there was until the cat sat on it."
  • I'd miss out on the chance to make a Connex employee wait for me for a change. Gold! Revenge is sweet, and so is life!
No, I didn't go out of my way to make an employee of Connex trains wait for me - That would be needlessly cruel, and I reserve needless cruelty for friends and family The fact is that I had to make a telephone call to find out where a graduation certificate had gone to, and there was a certain amount of hunting around for the location of that certificate to be done before I could deliver the proper response of "It's not here." While none of this was my fault, I'm more happy to accept the reward in karma for (many) previous misdeeds perpetrated against me by that particular organisation.

----------------
Now playing: Katie Melua - On the Road Again
via FoxyTunes

No comments: